- To ensure that all pupils achieve their full potential in science
- To build a solid foundation of scientific knowledge and skills
- To allow pupils to achieve their scientific aspirations and to consider science careers
- To gain an understanding of scientific processes and an understanding of the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
- To increase the children’s enthusiasm, confidence and overall understanding of key scientific concepts and understanding of the world around them – their Science Capital
At East Bergholt Primary School, we believe Science should, first and foremost, be a means of gaining a better knowledge and understanding of the world around us. This knowledge is most valuable and enlightening when it has been gained through good quality scientific experimentation. Therefore, the children’s experience of science within school is largely based around providing them with opportunities to ask questions, investigate and draw conclusions based upon evidence.
Children will develop a familiarity with the scientific method by being given regular opportunities and contexts to observe changes over time, take measurements, use laboratory apparatus, notice patterns, group and classify things, record their results and look for relationships as well as making predictions and presenting their findings to develop their understanding and knowledge in the subject.
East Bergholts' science curriculum is built around the principles of cumulative knowledge, with an emphasis on how content is connected, and relational knowledge is acquired. The curriculum is planned sequentially and cumulatively from Year 1 through to Year 6, ensuring that important subject knowledge and skills are revisited with increasing levels of challenge and provides opportunities for pupils to apply and develop their subject vocabulary confidently.
We are very fortunate to have a range of habitat types within our own school grounds, such as woodland areas and a thriving nature pond area. Wherever possible, we will make good use of these facilities in our science learning.
The successful approach to the teaching of science at East Bergholt results in a fun, engaging, high quality science education, that provides children with the foundations for understanding the world that they can take with them once they complete their primary education.