At East Bergholt Primary School, we believe in the importance of writing across the whole curriculum.
Writing is a key life skill which enables children to express themselves, communicate with others and access other areas of the curriculum. It is a complex process which requires a command of sentence and text structure, grammar and punctuation, an ability to edit and evaluate both their own and others writing, a knowledge of how spoken language translates to the written word, an awareness of purpose and audience across different genres and involves a competency in spelling and handwriting.
We believe we foster an ethos where:
- writing is seen as purposeful and enjoyable
- each child to see themselves as a confident and successful writer
- each child can achieve the level of writing of which they are capable
- writing is developed across a range of meaningful contexts
- there is a broad curriculum offering the full spectrum of writing genres
- each child develops the necessary writing skills to be a competent writer
- writing is seen as an essential life skill